Monday, January 28, 2008

Chain reaction

One stoplight out on Oak.

That's all it took to change a 10 to 15 minute bus trip into a 45
minute trip. As I sat on the bus, stopped as often as not in traffic
on Lincoln, I imagined the weekend's rain had blocked a sewer drain
and led to lane closure or that there was some horrific accident. But
no...

If a simple change from metered traffic to a stop sign created such a
large impact in such an uncomplicated system, I shudder to think about
the impact of my own mistakes and accidents on the much more
complicated and possibly more delicately balanced systems I
participate in.

1 comment:

Dani said...

Oak & Broderick, right?

I swear I saw my life flash before my eyes as I drove through, trusting that all 4 lanes of rushhour traffic would actually stop for me.